Tuesday, September 1, 2009

GMC wants Doctors to tell people they are going to die and then ask for their organs


Dear All

It seems that the GMC is keen to get an organ harvesting programme in full swing by using a pushy double glazing salesman approach. To start the ball rolling they want Doctors to ask dying patients if they wish to donate their organs under controversial new plans.

In other words bluntly telling people they are going to die to add to their misery and distress.

In order to make the scheme more palatable guidance is being rewritten about care for seriously ill patients and their families to increase the chronic shortage of organs.

The General Medical Council which self regulates the medical will for the first time place a duty on all doctors to ask patients if they would like others to have their organs after death.

Sharon Burton, a senior policy advisor at the GMC callously said;

‘it was decided that the need to increase the supply of organs outweighed their concerns’.

What a charmer.

And what of the patients who will be ripped apart to provide the material for transplant?

The fact remains that organ donation is not popular, so much so that the British Medical Association (BMA) wants to introduce a system of ‘presumed consent’ in order to just help themselves to your organs after death.

Such a system will not find favour with the British public because of the social culture, Britain is a corrupt society and I suspect that most of the “donations” will be from the working class.

If presumed consent goes through, people will feel that some will be left to die because of someone’s opinion they are not viable.

Politicians have tried hard to sell presumed consent for years but it does not wash with the British public.

And never will!

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University

2 comments:

BellgroveBelle said...

I'm a signed-up organ donor. I believe that someone else getting a chance to live even though I've snuffed it is a good thing. It's my own circumstances, I know, but that knowledge would comfort me.

I do think that there has to be an incredibly sensitive approach taken by doctors to this. If there are sufficient safeguards in place to deal with the problems you mentioned, I personally have no problem with presumed consent.

G Laird said...

Dear Alison

“I'm a signed-up organ donor I believe that someone else getting a chance to live even though I've snuffed it is a good thing. It's my own circumstances, I know, but that knowledge would comfort me”.

I would take nothing away from you making your personal choice and support your right to do so.

I don’t however support ‘presumed consent’; it is like stealing because you can’t win the argument.

In some cultures defiling a body is a horrendous act, so should we support these people’s rights?

I think you would say yes and if you say yes to that then you acknowledge that the argument has to be consent.

“I do think that there has to be an incredibly sensitive approach taken by doctors to this. If there are sufficient safeguards in place to deal with the problems you mentioned, I personally have no problem with presumed consent”.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1136723.stm

In this case despite safeguards, Doctors decided to just help themselves to organs. They didn’t care for the hospital regulations, the oath they took and guidelines from their peer group bodies.

In self regulatory bodies such is used by the medical profession, time and time again we see that people who transgress get off with a slap on the wrist.

If we go down the road of presumed consent then at some stage there will be cases where people who have opted out will have their organs taken.

Then we will see the old tried and much stated, ‘lessons learned’, with other additional buzzwords flung in.

It is a difficult issue but the argument has to be based on consent.

The state doesn't own my body.

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University